Friday, January 15, 2010

Kale Hummus Bites

After reading several books on factory farm conditions and exposes on the food industry I cut meat out cold foturkey one bleak December day in 2008. I am a food person, I have never been the kind of girl that orders a salad for dinner, or even lunch. I refused to sacrifice flavor and enjoyment, so the experiments began. From the good (pesto pizza!) to the bad (cold potato soup?) my kitchen has become a bit of a science lab of sorts. My newest creation is a combination of 3 simple ingredients: crackers, hummus, and kale. Enjoy!

Hummus:
in food processor combine:
3 drained cans of garbanzo beans (chick peas)
3 tablespoons minced garlic
juice of 2-3 lemons
2 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup of olive oil, or more as desired.
(Process one can of garbanzos at a time to ensure no garbanzo is left unturned, drizzling olive oil through the funnel as you go to maintain creaminess. )

Kale Chips:
Thoroughly wash and dry one big bunch of kale. A salad spinner works best, but you can also leave the kale in a strainer covered by a cutting board or plate for a few hours. Tear kale into bite sized pieces and place in bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle liberally with parmesan, sea salt and pepper. Using hands, mix kale until all pieces are coated, shiny, and sprinkled. Transfer to 2 baking trays, spread kale out evenly in a single layer. Bake at 350 for 15 mn and remove to cool. Kale chips are delicious and addictive. My kids even gobbled them up after another hesitant stare at their insane Mommy. Kale is only $1 a bunch at the farmers market, and is one of the best food choices a person can make.

Plating:
Set out chosen crackers (I use garlic herb toppers), dollop a mound of hummus, and then place 1 crispy kale chip on top!

Simple, healthy, full of protein and cancer fighting kale! These are the types of foods I eat, and the reason I have maintained my choice for so long. I hope someone else is able to enjoy it as well!


1 comment:

Cindy said...

that sounds delicious. One of tastiest hummus varieties Ive made is with turmeric, just make standard hummus add a tsp or so of the turmeric.

Related Posts with Thumbnails