Friday, October 8, 2010

The Demise of the Tooth Fairy

I knew this would happen eventually. I knew that no matter how hard I tried to stop him, one day JT would grow up. This morning he grew just a bit too much for my taste, I may have to look into shrinking him...

Two weeks ago I was rummaging in my jewelry box for a bracelet when I noticed JT had come up behind me and was picking through the pile of random things I had tossed onto the bed. I realized what he would find only a split second too late, and watched helplessly as he opened the tiny box that held all of his baby teeth. He stared into the box for a moment, and in that moment I am positive he knew the entire truth. Still, he hesitated, and asked me what was in the box. I tried to be dismissive and redirect his attention (pay no attention to the teeth behind the curtain!) but my Mommy tricks were of no use. He demanded to know why I had stolen his teeth from the Tooth Fairy? I told him the truth, obviously. After the Tooth Fairy takes a tooth, she gives it to the Mommy for safekeeping. JT cocked his head to the side as he absorbed this and then asked why the Tooth Fairy would pay for teeth she doesn't keep? I was backed into a corner by now. Literally, my jewelry box is in a corner. I asked him where he expected the Tooth Fairy to stash all the bajillions of teeth she collected each night, and confidently told him the Tooth Fairy had entrusted his teeth to me, and then I pretended not to understand any further questions. (Sorry, I can't hear you when you mumble!)

The day before yesterday JT lost one of his front teeth, and as always he placed it in a ziplock bag under his pillow before he drifted off to sleep. In the morning when he woke up the tooth was still there. I am ashamed to admit this Tooth Fairy dropped the ball. I completely and totally forgot about the tooth transaction. In the morning JT woke me up and shoved the plastic bag in my face with the tooth still inside, a bit petulantly actually, but I couldn't blame him. I grimaced internally before flashing a reassuring Mommy smile and explained that since he had gotten up to sleep with me in the middle of the night the Tooth Fairy hadn't been able to come. I told him he had to stay in his own bed all night. He snipped back that he had stayed in his own bed all the way until 4am as he stalked off to get ready for school.

Last night, I crept into JT's room at 2am and balanced precariously on an IKEA chair next to his loft bed. I slipped out the tooth and replaced it with a fresh $5 bill, then added the tooth to my little collection.

This morning JT walked straight up to me and announced that he didn't think the Tooth Fairy had really come. He said "You know what I think? I think you have been taking my teeth! Where are they? I want to see my teeth!" Like I had been holding them hostage? Finally, I let it go. I told him that I was indeed the Tooth Fairy. I expected him to be disappointed, but instead he looked pleased with himself, as though he had solved a great mystery.

Mica's teeth should start falling out soon, until then I plan on sleeping through the night and spending my spare cash on Starbucks rather than a creepy collection of baby teeth.

(Someone explain to me why I still have the teeth!?)

1 comment:

kat said...

A lovely story,thanks for sharing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails