Tuesday, September 8, 2009

5 weeks to 26.2!

As most of you know I was born with Neurofibromatosis type 2, a genetic disorder that causes tumors to grow throughout my brain and spine. I've had numerous surgeries and radiation, and lost 3 family members to the disease, including my Mom. My son JT has NF2 as well, and is my hero! At age 6 he is already visually impaired, but he never let's it stop him! He is obsessed with breakdancing and Michael Jackson, and uses sign language to help me wherever we are at.

Last year I joined the NF Endurance Team to raise funds for NF research and fight back! The NFET raises awareness and research dollars that enable treatments and a cure for neurofibromatosis.This year I am serving as Team Captain at the Long Beach Marathon, and am trying my hardest to bring as many people affected by NF together as possible for a day of running and celebration!

The Long Beach Marathon is now just 5 weeks away, and I will be completing my first 26.2 mile full marathon! If you have read my blog you know I have been struggling with the heavy weekly mileage during training, and have had doubts. I was thinking this morning that training for this marathon is so much like having NF2! It is a constant uphill battle, and I need to be prepared not just physically, but mentally. When I prepare for a surgery I go through a very similar process, working out to increase my muscle strength, and controlling my emotions in the face of an impending struggle. With at least 5 serious surgeries in my past, I know I am capable of running this marathon! After all, it's better than brain surgery!

So as I continue to train, and push forward, I want to thank all of you who have taken the time to donate on my donation page or volunteered to help us out on race day! In a time when all of us are being more careful with every dollar, it means so much to me to still see people donating to such a serious cause. CTF is making great strides in the fight against NF, funding research programs and clinical trials as well as promoting awareness! I am proud to be a part of such an amazing charity!

My fundraising goal for this year is $5000, and as of now I have raised $1,830! So right now I want to ask each of you to consider making a donation and helping me get closer to that goal! Every dollar counts, and I greatly appreciate any size donation. Donating is simple, just CLICK HERE! If you are unable to donate online and would rather write a check, please email me and I will get you set up right away.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails