Tuesday, September 21, 2010

What do Vegans eat?

It has been almost 3 years since I read Skinny Bitch, and then announced to my family I was no longer going to eat meat. They all smiled at me patronizingly, assuming this would no doubt be another fad I was into for a few weeks before moving on to the next shiny idea. Unfortunately for them, specifically my husband, that was only the beginning. As I absorbed more information on the cruel treatment of factory farm animals, the antibiotics, steroids and hormones we absorb from the meat, and the history of vegetarianism in general, I only strengthened my resolve. After devouring Slaughterhouse by Gail Eisnitz, there was no turning back.

Recently I started allowing eggs and fish into my diet in moderation, and I have always clung to my cheese addiction without an ounce of guilt. Then I read Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Diet and realized what I have been missing out on. Why bother to limit my diet if I am not going to reap the benefits? By continuing to eat animal products I was still poisoning myself and slowing down my digestive track. If I want to truly live clean, I can't do it with a daily dose of dairy. By the time I turned the last page, I knew it was time to recommit myself.

Thanks to Facebook most of my friends and family are already aware of my newfound commitment, and most of them ask the same questions. They ask what I eat, and they ask how I do it. This week I am going to share everything I eat to give a realistic picture of a vegan diet. I will share my Rules tomorrow, they are also a great weight maintenance plan when paired with running (of course!)

Monday
Breakfast: 1 slice homemade vegan banana bread, 1/2 green apple dipped in natural peanut butter
After Work Out Snack: Trail mix and Protein Shake
Lunch: leftover quinoa with cherry tomatoes and fresh basil
Snack: Protein Shake
Dinner: Eggplant Chana Masala, brown rice, brussel sprouts, Naan

Tuesday
Breakfast: Trader Joe's quick cooking Steel Cut Oats topped with ground flax seed, sliced bananas & cinnamon
Snack: Trail Mix
Lunch: leftover Chana Masala and Naan
Dinner: Dine out at Chilis, Spicy Black Bean Burger topped with lettuce, pickle, tomato, grilled onion & ketchup with steamed veggies on the side! (who says Vegans don't eat!??)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your menu sounds good! I strive to eat vegan, and i'm always looking for recipes for vegan baked goods. Banana bread sounds great!

Related Posts with Thumbnails