Saturday, May 30, 2009

Mantra

I always have mixed emotions when I set off on my long runs. It feels great to get out and escape, but as my feet leave my porch I wonder what would happen if I just ran right back inside and plopped down on the couch with a bag of doritos? As quickly as I can push the thought away it fades into the distance and I fall into the familiar rythm of a 10 minute pace. The first mile is always messy, and I suck in air as I wait at the first cross light. When the little man says to walk, I take off running, and soon my body stops screaming and just glides along. I know I am slow compared to most runners, but I run my own race, and am just thankful I am able to run at all with 5 brain tumors and 4 spine surgeries under my water belt. I take in the beautiful mountains and as it becomes challenging to meet my pace my thoughts dissolve into simple mantras. Determind... strong... run... I let my mind think only positive thoughts as I fly along the trail. Health is a necessity, but skinny is a benefit... pain is temporary but pride is forever... it's better than brain surgery... and as I struggle to the top of a hill I ask aloud, "Is that all you've got?!" As I fly down the other side the answer comes with a smile... determined... strong... run...

1 comment:

erin said...

I think it is great you run. I also am a runner, I can completly agree with the description you gave when starting out running. I have to get into the zone, if I don't it is all over for me. Keep up the running.

Related Posts with Thumbnails