Tuesday, October 21, 2008

At least its not spine surgery...

I'm heading in to have my wisdom teeth removed and am actually really nervous! I'm being put to sleep and having all 4 out. You would think with all the surgery I've had this would be easy for me, but I'm a big baby. Seriously! I hate being put to sleep! I always have nightmares. The very first time I was put to sleep at age 9 for a spine tumor removal I remember them putting the mask on me and telling me to count backwards from 100. As I counted back my vision became tunnel like and slowly the darkness faded in, I felt like my consciousness was falling backwards into my body and I could see the light getting smaller and further away. It was a cavernous, domed, pitch black existence I fell through and as I slammed down into a black glass pool of water at the bottom I suddenly woke up. When I woke up I was in the worst pain of my entire short life, I had been opened and violated, and was too young to compartmentalize the pain. I remember being transferred from the gurney to my bed in the pediatric ICU, they lifted me with a sheet and I felt searing hot pain rip down my entire back. I'm pretty sure my wisdom teeth removal wont be so dramatic!

1 comment:

Jennifer Bruno Conde said...

Yikes, Olivia! It's amazing you can not only remember what it felt like at age 9, but to actually be able to describe it so vividly!

At least you have the cleaning to look forward to when the chipmunk status clears. :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails